Saturday, July 16, 2005


Carthay Circle Monument Sign

Bounded by Wilshire Boulevard to the north, Fairfax Boulevard to the East, Olympic Boulevard to the south, and Beverly Hills to the West, Carthay Circle was developed by J. Harvey McCarthy in 1922. The streets of Carthay Circle named in remembrance of people of the California Gold Rush. Carthay Circle is one of twenty historic districts (HPOZ) in Los Angeles. Others include South Carthay.


When planning the development between 1922 and 1944, landscape architects Cook and Hill chose an irregular street grid pattern that produced limited access to Carthay Circle from the boulevards. Amongst the various styles found in Carthay Circle, the Spanish Colonial style is the most popular. Yet no two homes are alike due to the rule that all homes had to be designed individually by an architect.